Tuesday 7 January 2014

What to give up for January...


It’s 2014!

At the start of every New Year, many good intentioned people set targets for changing or improving themselves. This usually starts with something to help restore us from the indulgences of Christmas. Maybe giving up alcohol, smoking or even starting a new exercise plan...all good stuff right?

For me, my challenge is about giving up or significantly reducing two things that may help me long term...if it becomes a lifestyle. They are meat and sugar.

In December I watched the documentary "Forks over Knives" on Netflix which further reinforced my opinion that perhaps eating too much meat is not good for our hearts. I've also read part of 'The China Study' which supports and helps form some of the arguments raised in the film. Aside from the animal welfare and climate reasons which are powerful enough in themselves, it's amazing to think that we may be able to reduce and even correct cardiovascular disease by just eating more vegetables and less meat. Seems simple right? So here's my plan. I'll be 100% plant powered in January. I'm intrigued to see how I'll get on. Admittedly I already eat quite a lot of veggies everyday now so I'm not sure how much of an dramatic impact it'll have. I think I'm more curious about habit and how easy I'll find it when out and about on the go, to avoid meat, which is too relied upon as a staple food source. That's the big challenge I think.

Sugar on the other hand, I hope will be under a lot of scrutiny in 2014. Press coverage, blogs, podcasts and general public awareness about it are on the rise and I hope it helps everyone start to realise the negative health implications of sugar and maybe think twice about consuming so much of it. It's crazy how many people are at risk of diabetes, which for the most part can be avoided by better diets!

Two issues I see. Firstly, I know they say 'read the label' to check the ingredients list. For example; if you look carefully, 'Low Fat' food products typically contain more sugar than 'normal' versions and thus whilst low in fat, they will actually make you fat. That is shocking. More importantly to consider is why are we buying food with a label in the first place. We don't need to look on the reverse of an apple or carrot to check what’s in it, so if we were buying and eating more whole foods and less processed, factory-made foods, we wouldn't have to worry about the ingredients list in the first place. Again, it seems simple right?

So I know there's arguments for and against most of these topics and they're actually complex. I'm certainly no Dr or Scientist, but these are my choices for January and perhaps hopefully wellinto the New Year too if I feel better in doing it.

Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment